Monday, November 10, 2014

My Best Day


One of the best days I can recall is the subject for todays blog.

The year I decided at the spur of the moment to go to Paris, from my home in country France, for a few days around Christmas.



Without a doubt the view down the Champs Elysees is brilliant. Last year they changed it but not for the better, I hope they go back to this scene again.

I treated myself to a few days at the beautiful and iconcic Hotel Georges V . I invited a few friends over and had a chance to catch up over tea in their gorgeous dining room.

tripadvisor.com photo

You will be blown away by the magnificent flowers at the George V done by the incredible florist to the stars Jeff Leatham.

magazine.fourseasons.com

Jeff Leatham flowers...click here




Restaurants in Paris are usually very good.  If you see a cute little bistro while walking around, the chances are you will get a good meal if you choose to stop.  We did just that and had the moules frites, they were perfect.


For dinner we went to  Hélène Darroze, it doesn't get better than that.   www.helenedarroze.com




I cannot remember the first time I was taken to La Stella but I do remember the last time, it was that Christmas trip.  I have to say it hasn't changed in twenty years, still wonderful.

Since most of Paris's storied brasseries are now owned by corporate chains and serve  mediocre food, it's a pleasure to head to one of the last remaining independent ones in a quiet corner of the silk-stocking 16th arrondissement for a fine feed of such well-prepared French classics as onion soup, escargots, sole meunière, steak tartare, roast lamb and other Gallic standards. The people-watching here might be subtitled "the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie", service is efficient and this place has what the French call du gueule, or real character. rue Victor Hugo in the 16th.


Wishing that today will be your best day yet.


Audrey

7 comments:

  1. Audrey, I think many of life best days can be found in Paris. Yours sounds picture perfect. I've always wanted to go during the holiday to see the city even more glittering and sparkly than normal. You've captured it beautifully here.

    Here's to all the best days so far and many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delightful. And the few times I've been around Paris during Christmas season, it has always been magical.

    As for those moules-frites, what is not to love? (You've made me quite hungry, I dare say.)

    And you remind me that many of my happiest days and periods of time have been spent in France - Paris mostly, and Normandy a few times. Wonderful memories. Merci!

    D. A.
    http://DailyPlateOfCrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!
    People often dream about Christmas in a favourite foreign city, but few ever have the nerve to hop on the plane. How marvelous you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOTEL GEORGE!!!!!!!!!!!I have yet to even walk through........have heard about THAT FLORIST however........HOW DIVINE you took yourself and met friends and caught up!MAY I COPY you one day!So much beauty in PARIS.........it is food for my soul.YOU ARE EXQUISITE by the way!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the story + you are living my dream + blessings to you.xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering now! We've considered both of these restaurants on previous Paris trips but I'll have to bump them up in the queue for next year's visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your day sounds lovely, audrey - paris at christmas is certainly a magical experience. and at the george V, you simply cannot go wrong..! love the photos, how divine...

    sharon xx

    ReplyDelete