Monday, April 7, 2014

Slimming down your suitcase

photo by travel-and-go.com


As I have travelled extensively in my life, I have been asked to pass on some of my tips for making the trip as easy as possible.  

I have been to most of the fifty United States, most of the countries in Europe, many countries in Southeast Asia and South America. I have flown in excess of six million miles on American Airlines alone.  

One would think I have it down but really I don't.  I have to think about it every time I fly.  I do try and keep a shelf in my armoire ready with things I use on every trip. I do not use these things between trips.  They are packed in large zip lock bags ready to be thrown into my suitcase.

1.  small bottle of foundation, blush, mascara, concealer, eye shadow, lip and eye pencils.
2.  minimum amount of lingerie ( wash as you go)
3.  duplicates of vitamins and medication I use every day
4.  one round hairbrush and 2 hair clips
5.  travel size versions of shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, cologne, moisturizer, contact lens solution and case.
6.  my passport and travel documents in a small bag

Now when you are ready to pack all you have to do is pull these 6 zip lock bags, put them in the bottom of your bag and add you clothes.

If you can get everything into one carry on bag, that's the best.  I usually cannot do this, I wish I could.  You will need an additional small carry on for your electronics. An additional problem for me is getting the heavy bag into the overhead bin so I usually have to rely on the nice young man behind me to do this.

Now for the bag.  Depending on where you are going, you should be able to get by with using a basic colour palette.  Black is always good, you can go almost anywhere wearing black pants, white shirt and black sweater or jacket. Black, tan, grey and a pop of colour is best.
Here is a picture of a great assortment of clothes if you are going to Europe this summer.



If you could pack by outfit it would make unpacking much easier and your outfit would be ready to wear once you arrive.

My favourite carry on bag is by Tumi.  Here is one version.

Tumi carry on bag


I hope this helps you and remember, if you are going to Africa or any country without reliable air conditioning, bring a mosquito net for your bed and a hook to hang it on.  Believe me, you will be glad you did.

Bon Voyage

AUDREY









1 comment:

  1. Miss Audrey,
    I have a similar routine, also. I replenish all small bottles when I return home, so they are always at the ready. ( I actually do not like that particular job, but feel so good, once it's complete.) I also have a special nightgown that I wash and iron. It is only worn on trips....sort of like the 'good' one you save and never wear. The ziplocks give me more ideas for streamlining my additional 'stuff''. I miss the days of carryon full sized makeup! Decanting it into smaller bottles isn't easy!


    Warmly, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete